Submit an application to become a new recruit of The Rangers

PUBLIC SUBFORUM.
The Rangers are a Laurelin-based Lord of the Rings Online kinship.
Gwyndon
Ranger
Kinship: The Rangers

Re: Submit an application to become a new recruit of The Rangers

Post by Gwyndon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone :)
I hope I'll fit right in and have a good time! I somehow lacked that the last few weeks...

Wilgo, good to know, but it wouldn't have made a difference in this case and besides that, I was just explaining why I ended up here and not with the Banner. At least I tried that :pardon:
Gwyndon Greymane of Gondor, Man Guardian (85), Armoursmith
Aellya Ward of Gondor, Woman Captain (75), Weaponsmith
Ceraniel Whisperwind of Lorien, Elven Hunter (75), Explorer
Agram Thunderfist of the Lonely Mountain, Dwarven Rune-Keeper (82), Tinker
Ilyra Fairbreeze of the Shire, Hobbit Burglar (66), Yeoman

Borlo
Ranger

Post by Borlo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Greetings, Rangers!

I'd like to file an application to join your kin and in this post I'll try to provide as much information as I can to help you with the evaluation.

My overall MMO and LOTRO background
I've been playing LOTRO for a few months now, and I'm absolutely fond of it: in pretty much all aspects it's the best MMO, I've had the chance to play so far. I'm one of those lucky "illuminated" people that converted to Lotro from WoW. I've played wow since launch and for the majority of my stay there I was a part of a hardcore raiding guild focused on conquering end-game content fast and efficiently. For quite a while raiding and the community I was part of were the only reasons for my involvement and commitment to WoW, since I never really enjoyed the setting or the lore behind the game. As it usually happens in such circumstances, boredom and alienation began gradually evolving. At some point last year by lucky chance I discovered LOTRO and it has been quite an eye opener. For one thing, ever since my childhood I've been a keen reader and admirer of Tolkien's books and universe. The whole idea of getting this world implemented into an MMO felt like a blessing and privilege, regardless of the inevitable limitations or specifics of the implementation. I signed for the trial, I roamed the Shire and Bree land, I fell in love and I knew that I've found the game I really want to play in the kind of setting that would contribute to my immersion. I won't elaborate too much on the game-mechanic, philosophical or community differences between LOTRO and WOW, since a lot has already been said on forums, blogs, etc and most of you guys are perhaps already aware or just not interested in this debate; I'll just say that despite of my lengthy commitment to WoW, I've grew to love LOTRO better for many reasons and my love and sympathy covers pretty much every aspect of the game. It took me a while, a good few months actually, to make the switch and gradually separate from my previous commitments, but I'm very happy about my decision and only regret that I didn't have the chance to discover and join LOTRO earlier. Now I've been roaming the Middle Earth for a few months and I utterly enjoy the experience!

My player personality
I do regard LOTRO as a very story driven and lore dependent game. Thus I'm very interested in exploring nd experiencing every single aspect of the game whilst enjoying the process and taking my time. I'm not particularly focused on leveling, reaching "end-game" and dedicating my attention almost entirely on top lvl activities. Quite on the contrary: I split my time between 7 different characters/classes, I experiment with different activities with each of those, I try not to skip content, to develop all different professions between my toons and so on. In fact sometimes spend hours just roaming around, crafting, gathering, hanging out in inns, joining random lower level fellowships just to experience a quest or an instance once again. In that other MMO I've already experienced the rush of powerlevelling, maximizing efficiency and in-game time, "min-maxing to the max" and all that stuff. I'm no longer interested in that. I just want my leisure and fun at a slower pace and often with no particular goals whatsoever. For me even the privilege of "living" in the Middle Earth, the fairy-land of my childhood is rewarding enough. All this would explain why after a few months of playing I still don't have a character at level cap. And I find it very hard to define a "main": I prefer variety. My toons are: Borlo, lvl 50, hobbit burglar, Hiera, lvl 39, hobbit minstrel, Beornita, lvl 20-ish human loremaster, Ingradan, lvl 17 hunter, Dundorin, lvl 8 guardian, Ayra, lvl 6 hobbit warden, Streemli, lvl 6 dwarf runekeeper. I'd like to think that since I'm not focused on levelling fast or reaching particular goals in limited amount of time, I'm quite fond of grouping and helping people out regardless of what I'm doing at the moment, as long as I'm online :). This being said, I personally prefer to handle the vast majority of my quests alone, mostly because I don't like rushing, I take my time reading carefully all quests, especially the new ones. For me it's the story and the lore that make the game viable. Also, despite the wall of text that I'm writing here I'm generally a quiet person, I don't like troubling people unnecessarily, but I do join other more experienced players and fellowships and try to learn from them when an opportunity arises. My experience of grouping with random people in LOTRO has overall been very positive, unlike some other games, and it has allowed me to complete quite a large amount of group quests and epic books. So now I've almost overcome my initial fear of grouping and cooperating :)

My RP (in)experience
I've never played on an RP realm previously, so I lack the experience, but I simply couldn't imagine playing in this particular world without role playing at least a little bit. As I said before, for me the story and lore of Middle Earth are almost "sacred", so I definitely didn't want my enjoyment of the game and my immersion to be disrupted by people who disregard or don't care for the canonical aspect and the meaningful content of the game. That's why I chose an RP server. For me personally RP-ing is to a large extent the way the player feels while playing the game: it's internal psychological attitude towards the game which may or may not find its external expression as in-game RP behaviour like acting, emoting or talking. When I play I do feel that the toon i'm controlling is part of Middle Earth history and in my imagination he does live, act and talk there. But due to the lack of permanent company or friends to play constantly with, I haven't developed any particular habits of RP-ing. I'd be happy to learn though :) I like sitting in the Prancing Pony occasionally and just watching how people behave there, I've witnessed a few other RP events, organized by Laurelin community, and it was pleasant to be there, but I've never been an active participant.

Why I chose The Rangers
I haven't been in ny kins since I started plying LOTRO, I just waited a little bit to see and investigate what kins might be suitable for my playstyle and habits. I didn't want to go to extremities and choose an exclusively end-game or heavy RP kin or a bunch of kids. I was just looking for a healthy mix of all good aspects that the game allows us to do. I saw posts on lotro-europe forums by people from the Rangers and I liked what I saw, so I read your website and I liked what I saw once again. Additionally when I was roaming aorund Angmar on my burglar a few days ago a group of "Rangers" that happened to be passing by kindly helped me with killing a few evil worms that were on my way and that also was a very timely positive impression :) I hope to be as helpful and useful if you let me be part of the kin.

My IRL personality
I'm 30 year old guy from the (too) sunny country of Bulgaria. I work as a Linux systems administrator and developer for an ISP so I spend too much time on a PC :) May be that's how I got into MMO's to begin with :) Apart from Tolkien, I also love Terry Pratchett's novels, The Beatles, airplanes and my dog! It might be also worth mentioning, that right now I'm playing on my laptop, since my PC died a while ago, which is somewhat spoiling the overall experience because of the reduced graphical capabilities, but nevertheless despite some video lag issues the game remains playable. Getting a new decent PC is certainly on the list, but not on the very top, since I also have a family (and a dog!) to support :) So most likely after the holiday season, meaning I won't be too good on raid content until then. I hope that's not an issue.

Well, thank you for reading through the wall of text and I'll be around to answer any additional questions you might have or just to chat.
Borlo, Hobbit BRG | Hiera, Hobbit MNS | Ayra, Hobbit WRD | Dundorin, Dwarf GRD | Ingradan, Elf HNT | Beornita, Woman LM | Targilan, Man CPT | Runtur, Dwarf RNK | Cutburt, Man CMP

Rivorniel
ex-Ranger
Kinship: The Last Banner

Post by Rivorniel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Borlo wrote: Additionally when I was roaming aorund Angmar on my burglar a few days ago a group of "Rangers" that happened to be passing by kindly helped me with killing a few evil worms that were on my way and that also was a very timely positive impression :)

*waves madly* I remember you! :D

Good luck with recruitment :)
Rivorniel (65), Elven Runekeeper, Woodswoman
Ceith (Freckles) (65), Woman Warden/Hopper, Janadan's groupie
Vanderina (65), Woman Guardian, Jeweller
Gerithil (65), Elf Minstrel, Metalsmith

Vingi
Master of Rangers

Post by Vingi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 am

Invited Borlo to the kinship
I play: Vingi Aermír (85 LRM) - Waldomer Freomerson (105 CPT) - Hírestel of Imladris (39 CHP) - Glomur, son of Grondur (55 MNS) - Dulco Harrowfoot (50 WDN) - Galvir from Gondor (33 BRG) - Thramli Sparklerock, son of Thralin (29 RK) - Ninaeriel Faergil (33 HNT).
In the creeptribes Memento Mori, Invictus and Azurz Grush, I play: R12 Warleader | R8 Warg | R7 Reaver | R3 Spider

Steinskaldir
Officer

Post by Steinskaldir » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:22 am

hey Borlo!
I also remember the little lonely hobbit with bunch of worms hunting him :D
Welcome to the kin and i hope you enjoy the stay here.
LOTRO: Steinskaldir; Belegechtor.
Away from game for the foreseeable future...

Garthalion
Head Ranger and Heir

Post by Garthalion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 am

Welcome Borlo to our group of friends....sorry the kin :)
Ask if you need anything, and I look forawrd to hearing the tales you can tell, and to adventure by your side :)

Water and Shade

Renfail
Ranger
Kinship: Horn and Banner Alliance

Post by Renfail » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Borlo wrote: My IRL personality
I'm 30 year old guy from the (too) sunny country of Bulgaria.
Where at in Bulgaria? Maelanor and I live in Sofia (she's from here; I'm American. We moved here 2 years ago). We aren't actively playing LOTRO atm, but interesting to see more people from this side of the world.

Borlo
Ranger

Post by Borlo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Aye, i'm from Sofia too :) Nice to meet you, guys, I've seldom had the chance to play with people from my region before.
Borlo, Hobbit BRG | Hiera, Hobbit MNS | Ayra, Hobbit WRD | Dundorin, Dwarf GRD | Ingradan, Elf HNT | Beornita, Woman LM | Targilan, Man CPT | Runtur, Dwarf RNK | Cutburt, Man CMP

Malachi
Visitor
Kinship: None

Post by Malachi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:25 am

Good morning,

Just gone four in the morning and I find myself hunting down an old group of adventurers I once knew. My name is Malachi, my surname was one shared with a great Captain at one stage... though he disappeared along with my brother Cjael. We -all- just conveniently disappeared and I left behind a small group of friends, no clue as to what became of their fate nor futures.

Used to travel alongside the one named Alekz, he had taken up a personal endevour and withdrew from the group, small as it was back then, known as The Rangers. T'was a rough ride and our blood seemed to thin out. There was another, my mentor... a female elf I'm unsure still wanders these lands or even if she still lives.

Those are past times gone, and I wander back through my own ashes from my past to discover The Rangers seem to be strong. Now I do not know who'll remember me, nor does it really matter... I send word ahead of my arrival to civilised township in the hope that I can find the Rangers like they had found me all those years ago.

- Malachi, hunter from the wastelands.

----

The name is Gabriel Wolf, I'm a 32 year old 'kid' who's an actor and voice over artist based around London. Was into live band performances for a rock group called Opus Bridge a long time ago and then moved slowly into using my voice elsewhere across all manner of music and voiced projects. I was in the Rangers a long, looooong time ago shortly after Beta came to a halt, when Alekz and a few others used to meander around the countryside and had some great adventures with them. I used to play alongside my old flatmate who played a character called either Reugne or Cjael, but that was almost a year ago. I now live North of London with my fiancee who has an account with LOTRO and is playing whilst I can muster enough cash together to reactive my old character: He had a house, a number of acheivements, items and other stuff I simply don't wish to leave behind just to start up a 14-day freebie run.

Anyway, if any of the old lot DO remember me, fantastic... but like I said in my Role intro, it's not important. The only matter I could raise is that you may not be looking for anymore hunters but if that's the case I'll just have to venture alone for a wee bit until you can house someone like Malachi. (I believe that's the character I had... gah)

Ta-raa!

Vingi
Master of Rangers

Post by Vingi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 am

Hello Malachi,

I think you were part of Alekz' first kin, called "Rangers". That kin was disbanded early in 2008. In July 2008 Alekz returned from a break and he founded a new kin called "the Rangers". So you were probably part of the first kin. I'm afraid no-one from that first kin is active within the Rangers atm.

That said, thanks for your interest in the Rangers!

Unfortunately, we currently have a recruitment stop, since we have reached our maximum amount of players in our kin due to a self-inflicted member cap of 60 players (preventing the kin becoming too big).

So I'm afraid we are not recruiting at this moment, but a few free spots might become available in a few weeks time. Feel free to contact me now or in a few weeks time ingame to elaborate about that.

Cheers,
Vingilotz
kinleader of the Rangers
I play: Vingi Aermír (85 LRM) - Waldomer Freomerson (105 CPT) - Hírestel of Imladris (39 CHP) - Glomur, son of Grondur (55 MNS) - Dulco Harrowfoot (50 WDN) - Galvir from Gondor (33 BRG) - Thramli Sparklerock, son of Thralin (29 RK) - Ninaeriel Faergil (33 HNT).
In the creeptribes Memento Mori, Invictus and Azurz Grush, I play: R12 Warleader | R8 Warg | R7 Reaver | R3 Spider

Malachi
Visitor
Kinship: None

Post by Malachi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Hello there,

I figured as much, I reactivated last night I found out that I was able to usurp Arasinya as she hadn't been on in 128 days... so keep an eye out for Dusk. Seems I have a lot of debt to make up now to reopen my old house, blow out some cobwebs. Heh.

Malachii (Till I can afford a rename, the two i's now bug me)

Glad to see the name of the Rangers up and strong.

Vingi
Master of Rangers

Post by Vingi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Recruitment is suspended until further notice