Guide to the Forges (post Book 7)

Guides for instances by players of the H&B Alliance.

Moderators: Aeskarth, Steinskaldir, Caraorn

Vingi
Master of Rangers
Kinship: The Rangers

Guide to the Forges (post Book 7)

Postby Vingi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:36 pm

Since we spent much time and silver (repairs :( ) this week on the Forges instance in Moria, I decided to write a little guide so we can share the knowledge within the Alliance. This was the way we made hardmode, needing about 23-24 mins of 30 min limit.

Recommended setup:
needed: MNS, LRM, tank, one CHP
flexible: 2 spots

Potions to bring along:
Morale and power, maybe wound if LRM can't be on the wound healing button all the time

Duration (hard mode):
To complete Hard Mode (which gives the coin for the radiance chestpiece) you have to take down the 4th boss with 30 minutes after killing the 1rst boss. Total run time (if not wiped): 45-50 mins including loot distribution.

Type of instance:
Lots of Orcs and fire; combination of crowd control and DPS absolutely needed. Tactical play +.

Recommended fellowship manouvre:
GGGBB(B)
long fights, morale draining, limited time to recover. Tank and Mini tend to run out-of power.

Guide:
1. to the first boss:
fight your way from the entrance to the back end of the room, wiping the groups of Orcs by group. Rooting/RoT needed to pull, beware of sappers, throwing burning oil. Blow holes in the wall at the back end of the room with the barrels of black power which await there. Every hole blown results in a new wave of adds. Proceed over the bridge to the first boss. Collect all the waterbags in the loot (instance only items, they will be destroyed upon exiting) - so all have 7-12 bags in inventory and slot them in quickslot (needed to stop fire when on fire).
2. first boss:
Tank is on the Boss, tank-and-spank. At 60 k morale, a rock will blow in the back end of the platform and Sappers and elite adds will enter. The MNS is likely to get aggro so use a hunter or CHP to take down the sappers ASAP (LRM should throw tar and root / HNT should place traps and RoT). Once adds are down, fight boss again. 3 waves of adds, each 20k of the boss. Once the Boss is down, the timer for hard mode starts: start running; looting is for later.

3. to the second boss:
run along the rails; the Trolls on the rails will do 700 damage and stun; they won't attack. Just run down, LRM could provide anti-stun. Enter the platforn of the second boss as a group: once you enter, the lawn will be blocked by rocks, and fellow members not on the platform will not be able to enter.
4. second boss:
rather complicated fight, requiring precise crowd control. The boss, Dhaub, will not appear until holes are blown in the walls in every corner. One person of the fellowship should concentrate on bringing the barrels of black powder to the walls.
Holes need to be blown in a particular order. You cannot blow other holes before first are done; watch out for chained trolls on rails, with precise timing you can get past them just fine.

* -exit to third boss
2 -----[ ] -----1

5 -----[ ] -----6

4 -----[ ] -----3
*- rails from first to second boss

After blowing third hole, trolls come (see below).
In the beginning there are a few adds: elite skirmisher and a melee Orc (they come from position #1, so the champ can run there), but sappers will come up regularly (starting from pos #3). They will target the healer, so one player (preferrably HNT) should be on sapper duty. The sappers move quite slow, so they can be taken down quite easily. Mini down = wipe.
After 2-3 waves of elite adds, Dhaub will "call in the reinforcements", 2 master elite trolls, 25k morale each. They will come from doors #5 and #6. The loremaster needs to permastun both in a corner of the platform. Others fight the boss, Dhaub. The boss should be out of line of sight of the trolls, since he will be much more resistant to damage if he can see the trolls. DPS the boss until he is down, and take down the trolls one by one afterwards.

5. to the third boss:
run down along the rails, DPS the elite Orc mobs halfway along (5-6 adds 15 k morale). Proceed the the runway to the third boss. You will see a fire torch blocking your path to the last boss. Unlike pre book 7, you will not be able to run through and fight the last boss, since the last boss only spawns after killing the third boss.
6. Third boss:
DPS him down, fighting a single mob, no adds. Mob has AoE fire damage: step out of the fire and use the water bags. Ranged and MNS, stay on a distance, so you won't be effected by AoE fire spells, unless the boss targets you. Proceed to the other end of the platform, where Kranluk and 2 trolls are waiting.

7. fourth and last boss:
Kranluk, (partial) light-, fire- and power drain resistant 75k morale boss with two 25k elite troll adds. It is not possible anymore to fight from the cave after book 7. Tank will tank-and-spank Kranluk during the whole fight. Loremaster stuns one troll (left side) and others take down the right troll. Take down left troll and full DPS on Kranluk once they are down. At 60k morale, two new trolls will appear: LRM stuns one, tank is on Kranluk, all others dps troll down and kill second troll afterwards. Full dps on Kranluk - at 40k morale one troll will be summoned again; take him down while the tank keeps Kranluk busy. From 40k and less, Kranluk will cast a red eye spelll: once you have it, don't attack him: if you do so he will do 3,500 damage on you. DPS down to 20k.
At 20k, the torch fires will start blowing from the walls, and move along the walls clockwise. Kranluk will say "It is time to release the full fury of the Forges". Gather as a group on the platform (at the spot where the left troll was at the beginning of the fight) and prepare to move along clockwise, so run circles around the central building. There will be a 25mtr area between two torchfires which shifts along the central building in time.
Kranluk will summon a troll, which can not be killed during the fight. Crowd control the troll (stun, roots, fear) and don't pay attention to him. All DPS on Kranluk, while moving along clockwise between the two moving fires. Red eye spell = don't attack. Run-and-spank the last 20k. Torchblowers will end once Kranluk is down; kill the troll afterwards. HM clock stops once Kranluk is down (limit 30 mins).

Distibute loot (2 chests Kranluk (if HM is made, otherwise one) and one chest at all 3 other bosses.

Have fun!
Last edited by Vingi on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: edited resistances of Kranluk, door positions and details of 2nd poss
I play: Vingi Aermír (85 LRM) - Waldomer Freomerson (102 CPT) - Hírestel of Imladris (39 CHP) - Glomur, son of Grondur (55 MNS) - Dulco Harrowfoot (50 WDN) - Galvir from Gondor (33 BRG) - Thramli Sparklerock, son of Thralin (29 RK) - Ninaeriel Faergil (33 HNT).
In the creeptribes Memento Mori, Invictus and Azurz Grush, I play: R12 Warleader | R8 Warg | R7 Reaver | R3 Spider
Garthalion
Head Ranger and Heir

Re: Guide to the Forges (post Book 7)

Postby Garthalion » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice Guide Vingi. and yes it was worth the repair bills to get this done right :)
Additional note the Last Boss Kranluk is immune to light and fire damage.
We will be organizining more runs on this and other instances, check the event planner for details.

Water and Shade
Garth
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Garthalion wrote:Additional note the Last Boss Kranluk is immune to light and fire damage.

Good addition. Light damage resistance is partial, since my Lightening Storm was still able to do damage (3x140 morale instead of normal 3x500 morale ~ so about 30% of normal damage)
I play: Vingi Aermír (85 LRM) - Waldomer Freomerson (102 CPT) - Hírestel of Imladris (39 CHP) - Glomur, son of Grondur (55 MNS) - Dulco Harrowfoot (50 WDN) - Galvir from Gondor (33 BRG) - Thramli Sparklerock, son of Thralin (29 RK) - Ninaeriel Faergil (33 HNT).
In the creeptribes Memento Mori, Invictus and Azurz Grush, I play: R12 Warleader | R8 Warg | R7 Reaver | R3 Spider
Bonkil
Officer

Postby Bonkil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm

That saves fire oils. thanks buddy! :friends:
Main: Bonkil (LVL 75 Hunter) Alts: Gonkil (LVL 67 Runekeeper) - Fonkil (LVL 75 Guardian) - Donkil (LVL 35 Champion) - Onkil (LVL 35 Minstrel) - Dirkdo (LVL 72 Retired Warden turned Farmer) - Tompkins (LVL 36 Burglar) - Bondush (Rank 4 Stalker).
Morielen
Officer

Postby Morielen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:03 pm

red eye on minstrel means the minstrel can't heal either. any induced spell unleases kranluk's anger. might be wise to take the leaf out of the minstrel's hair during that fight, so the eye is visible :P
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Morielen wrote:red eye on minstrel means the minstrel can't heal either. any induced spell unleases kranluk's anger. might be wise to take the leaf out of the minstrel's hair during that fight, so the eye is visible :P

Awwww, that leaf looked so cute on Mori :D
Estendir
Ally (raiding)
Kinship: The Last Banner

Postby Estendir » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Doesn't blowing up two entrances with the powder barrells at first boss prevent adds from entering?
Estendir captain lvl 65
Vinyalote minstrel lvl 65
Vel burglar lvl 65
Hamri champion lvl 65
Amanziran Lore-Master lvl 65
Raladur
Honorary Ranger

Postby Raladur » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

In addition for second boss tactics - holes need to be blown in order.
you cannot blow other holes before first are done.
and watch out for chained trolls on rails, with precise timing you can get past them just fine.

* -exit to third boss
2 -----[ ] -----1

5 -----[ ] -----6

4 -----[ ] -----3

After blowing third hole, trolls come.
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Great addition, Rala, I included it in the guide
Steinskaldir
Officer

Postby Steinskaldir » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 am

regarding 2nd boss fight - there are 2 orcs coming in the beginning - one archer and 1 melee. tank + champ should get their attention and stay and hit them with mns looking their for their morale. the 2 adds will come from nr 1 door - so when entering boss2 fight - run to far right corner and take the aggro there.

The trolls come from nr 6 direction (at least did when i was on the forges run with you guys)

The little sappers move slow - so i was able to take them down with bow on champ. I say one ranged dps does look carefully around as their damage is nasty.

* -exit to third boss
2 -----[ ] -----1

5 -----[ ] -----6

4 -----[ ] -----3

The third boss:
it worked quite well when minstrel stayed out of the boss fight area. only melee can be inside as the boss doesnt leave the area where he is. This will put less risk into msn and ranged classes.

If my machine could manage both lotro and fraps at decent framerate - id say a good video could be done to show the run :)
LOTRO: Steinskaldir; Belegechtor.
Away from game for the foreseeable future...
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 am

LauraMaria wrote:regarding 2nd boss fighThe trolls come from nr 6 direction (at least did when i was on the forges run with you guys)
The trolls actually come from 2 sides: 5 AND 6... alas, for if they both came from the same direction, I would be able to root them immediately and get my perma stun going on the trolls.

Thanks for the addition, included some info in the opening post.
Holigranda
Acolyte

Postby Holigranda » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:48 am

Good guide , thanks
Baidur
Ranger

Postby Baidur » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Don't know if it still works but on second boss I was used to do the folowing on trolls when I played LM:
One troll was permamezzed. The other ones was kited around the platform on the outer edge. When i did that as lm i could also put a heal in the kiter every time he came round.
It also gave me time to add debuffs on boss ,anti stun on tank and share power or other useful LM tricks.
I always liked this multitasking moment ;-)
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Baidur wrote:Don't know if it still works but on second boss I was used to do the folowing on trolls when I played LM:
One troll was permamezzed. The other ones was kited around the platform on the outer edge. When i did that as lm i could also put a heal in the kiter every time he came round.
It also gave me time to add debuffs on boss ,anti stun on tank and share power or other useful LM tricks.
I always liked this multitasking moment ;-)

Yes, kiting would work as well ofcourse. Personally, I liked the stress of how to get 2 trolls permamezzed asap while they come from 2 directions :) Anyway, Forges is one of the instances where loremasters can do their cool stuff, that's why I have run it over and over again.
Only downside is when you kite, that you lack 1 person dpsing the boss, and since hardmode is a timed run, you loose some time there (though you can easily make it within the 30 minutes ofcourse).
Raladur
Honorary Ranger

Postby Raladur » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:16 pm

i really wonder if it's still doable in our hardcore 20 minute timeframe?
those.... were good times :P :)
Vingi
Master of Rangers

Postby Vingi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Raladur wrote:i really wonder if it's still doable in our hardcore 20 minute timeframe?
those.... were good times :P :)

Hehe, yes, those were epic days... think 19 minutes was our record :D
Steinskaldir
Officer

Postby Steinskaldir » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:33 pm

´hmm do i smell a challenge? :D
Aeskarth
Ally (raiding)
Kinship: The Last Banner

Postby Aeskarth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Oh oh, let's do this :D I bet 10 gold we can do it in less than 15 minutes ;)
Guardian is not a shield and heavy armour. Guardian is a mindset.

Aeskarth Blakkrfot of The Last Banner - level 65 Guardian, rank 6
Gashruk Ufghashnum - rank 7 Warleader
Steinskaldir
Officer

Postby Steinskaldir » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 am

:D lets do it!
Caraorn
Officer

Postby Caraorn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 am

Folks, will experience people it can be done really fast without bigger challenge. 15 is more then realistic... would say challenge would be to do it in 10 minutes ;-).

Cheers!
Guardian Caraorn, father of Steinskaldir and Bonkil

Alts:
Champion Vladislav
Rune-keeper Drakur
Hunter Collondur
Minstrel Carariel
Raladur
Honorary Ranger

Postby Raladur » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:36 am

10 minutes...maybe... :)...

we did it at level 60.... and almost none of us had superb weapons/armor at the time. not to mention DPS upgrade we lacked when Mirkwood came.
Keplin
Acolyte

Postby Keplin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Ohh I'm in - lets do it :D
Kep - 65 Hobbit Burglar
Keplin - 65 Man Minstrel
Kepp - 36 Man Guardian
Kepurin - 32 Elf Runekeeper

Kepnak - R8 Orc Reaver
Various other R3/4/5 creeps
Shaeen
Ranger

Postby Shaeen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:25 pm

If I remember right we didn't do sooo badly last time. Shame about that silly Rune-keeper always wanting hot-lava-baths? *looks innocent*

Return to “[H&B] Endgame Instance Guides”